Wisconsin State Flag - The State's Coat Of Arms is centered on a field of dark blue. The flag was amended in 1979 to include the name of the state above the Coat of Arms and the date of statehood below the Coat of Arms.
An official design for Wisconsin’s state flag was initially provided by the legislature in 1863. Noting that a flag had not been adopted and that Civil War regiments in the field were requesting flags,
the legislature formed a 5-member joint select committee to report “a description for a proper state flag.” This action resulted in the adoption of 1863 Joint Resolution 4, which provided a design for
a state flag that was substantially the same as the regimental flags already in use by Wisconsin troops.
It was not until 1913, however, that language concerning flag specifications was added to the Wisconsin Statutes. Chapter 111, Laws of 1913, created a state flag provision, specifying a dark blue flag with the state coat of arms centered on each side.
The 1913 design remained unchanged until the enactment of Chapter 286, Laws of 1979, which culminated years of legislative efforts to alter or replace Wisconsin’s flag so it would be more distinctive and recognizable. The most significant changes made by the 1979 act were adding the word "Wisconsin" and the statehood date "1848" in white letters, centered respectively above and below the coat of arms.